Skip to main content

Anxiety, Procrastinating and Perfectionism

I'm an INFJ. When I took the MBTI test for this and got my results, I felt so... understood. I felt much more secure in who I am and my preferences. I've always thought nobody could fully understand how I work but here we are. But I also found a sort of peace with myself. I'm a human being. I'm complex. And although this test was pretty accurate in describing me, it's still not all of me, and that's okay.


I've always known I'm a perfectionist. I want things done in the right way, at all times. If there's something I must do, I do it with utmost care and precision. If not, I'm not going to do it. That is why I procrastinate. Back then, it was so confusing and frustrating whenever I find myself procrastinating. If I'm a perfectionist, I should do everything asked of me with the right amount of time and never a second late, better if done early. So why do I procrastinate? It was the complete opposite. But when I read about why I procrastinate according to my MBTI, suddenly everything clicked. It made sense. I procrastinate because I'm a perfectionist. If I know I won't be able to do it properly and perfectly, I put off doing it until I know I can do it. Or until I don't have much time.


Add to that the fact that I'm an anxious person. I think as a perfectionist, it comes with the territory. That's why as I grew older, and more expectations and pressure is put upon me (and therefore, pressure I put upon myself) it only got worse. I always want to show and do my best. But then I decided to stop caring; or tried to stop caring but it only worsened my anxiety. I've developed the habit of picking at the sides of my nails and most of the time, making myself bleed. And I still do it.


Those three, my procrastination, anxiety and perfectionism are something I'm still and will always be working on. I'm still trying to find the right balance and the way to monitor them because I know I won't ever be able to get rid of them. I have accepted that those are parts of my personality, I know I will always have no matter what, and they're not always negative aspects to have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 27, 2017

I felt older than him but maybe it's because I had to grow up fast. I did't have the same childhood he did or the same environment and people. He gave me back the innocence and warmth and empathy I failed to experience. He is a pure soul. So warm and loving. He's like the sun I was deprived of and now that I've basked in his warmth, the only way I can survive is around him.

Into 2018

As I grow up, more and more events that feel so important and remarkable for me has become.. meh. Like Christmas and New Year. In a way, it's understandable because on one side of my family, they don't really celebrate stuff like those. And it gave me a different perspective on celebrations as a whole. People usually make New Year's Resolutions and it's an ongoing joke how we never follow through our New Year's Resolutions. I used to make those things too. Then I stopped, realizing I never complete any of it. One reason is because I never take them seriously. I make resolutions without doing anything after the act of making it. No planning, no micro-goals to reach the bigger goals. Another reason, if you've read my previous post Anxiety, Procrastination and Perfectionism, you'd know. I procrastinate when I know I won't be able to do a task perfectly. What underlies that is my schedule. School and school works took up much of my life before. Now that ...